Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Tuesday 08/23/2011 Earthquake Day & Wednesday 08/24/2011

     I went to the movies today and when I got home the first thing my sister asked was "Did you feel the earthquake?" Well I missed it! I guess I was so captivated by the movie I was watching I just didn't notice. There was no damage here and while D.C. was effected it doesn't appear that anyone was injured.
     The news is saying this is the strongest eq in VA since 1897 and it lasted 30-45 seconds. Wow! I'll have to check with my OneBeacon friends to see what they felt on the 47th floor @ 1717 Arch St.  

     I went to see THE HELP this afternoon. There were a few minor changes from the book but the movie and everyone in it was so good that you hardly mind them. Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer, Emma Stone and Jessica Chastain were the heart of the movie. Ms. Davis should start writing her Oscar speach now because unless someone actually performs a miracle on the screen she should win the Best Actress Award. And I can see the whole cast winning the ensemble award at the SAG awards. I do have to say that Bryce Dallas Howard was evil personified as Hilly. If you get the chance it is worth the price of admission and your time to see it. Here is a link to the song by Mary J Blige that plays over the end credits of this terrific film.   http://youtu.be/XwI4zsNteU8

Wednesday 08/24/2011
    
     As you are all now aware the northeast part of the country experienced a rare earthquake yesterday. While they were talking about it on the news today I thought we needed some music to go with and couldn't resist the wonderful Carole King doing I FEEL THE EARTH MOVE. Here is a link for you to see and hear her doing that number via the wonderful folks on YouTube.     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvhf9d2ZXG8

     Not too much else going on today. We are finally getting rid of the POD we rented to store the basement contents that needed to be moved after the basement flooded. The big problem there is the guy who came to pick it up was unable to maneuver the truck to do that. We have to ask our neighbors to take the cars out of their back yard so the driver has the room he needs to move around. I will be so glad when the last of these little details are completed.
     Of course there was something good that came from having to do all the moving of junk back and forth. My sister found our grandmother's gold trimmed juice glasses that she thought she had lost. The glasses were wrapped in newspaper from 1993 when Eileen and Bill moved in with me. It's wonderful to unearth a little bit of treasure that you thought was gone forever.

That's all for today. Have a peaceful and happy afternoon and evening.

1 comment:

  1. were those the little glasses that we drank our tomato juice from? why tomato juice?has anyone ever gone to a dinner party and had little glasses of tomato juice?thinking back to all the dinners we had that started with tomato juice(when it says libbys libbys libbys on the label label label)leaves me wondering if that was the start of my acid reflux.

    ReplyDelete