Sunday, August 28, 2011

Saturday 08/27/2011 & Sunday 08/28/2011

      Happy Saturday all! The end to an extraordinary week here in the Philly area. When was the last time we had an earthquake and a hurricane in the same week? Twenty years from now this phenomenon will be on a trivia test somewhere and most people will think it's a joke.
     Just a piece of information from my life in insurance....Unless you have a special endorsement on your homeowners insurance policy you have no coverage for earthquake damage to your home. If you want to add the coverage there is usually a freeze period after an earthquake before you are able to add this to your existing policy. Also I found out today that you need a separate policy to cover your home for damage done by a hurricane. This damage is usually classified as an ACT OF GOD and is not covered by most homeowners policies.

     Today we were supposed to be at my cousin Kathy's home in Ellicott City, MD to celebrate my Uncle Jack's 85th birthday. Due to the weather forecast scaring me half to death I decided not to make that trip. I know how much my uncle was looking forward to having all his family in one place at the same time but this was a "better safe than sorry" moment. Hopefully we'll be able to get together soon and enjoy each others company.
     As a result of our aborted trip we have been able to share with some friends and neighbors the abundance of butter cake and sticky buns we bought to take to MD with us. I'm sure that when plans are made for make-up trip Eileen will be making another trip to the bakery for all the cake we can carry with us.

     Happy Sunday Dear World.............It appears that we all survived Hurricane Irene relatively unscathed. My niece Joanne is stuck out in Las Vegas for a few days. Fortunately her mother has a lifelong friend who lives there who she can stay with. She won't be camping out at the airport awaiting a flight home.
     My youngest sister did loose power at her home and was reduced to reading her Kindle via candlelight. What a juxtaposition of the old and new!
     Local TV stations have been doing Hurricane stories since yesterday morning. I'm really at the point where I'm worn out by the subject.
     I spoke with my Uncle Jack last night and his party went off with hardly a hitch yesterday. He said they had very little rain during the day and most of the guests were able to make it without too much difficulty.
     For those who party with hurricanes here's a link to Mary Chapin Carpenter singing DOWN AT THE TWIST AND SHOUT. It seems to fit. http://youtu.be/SuapCENFM2U
           
 Nothing else right now. Have a restful Sunday and face the new week with a smile on your face. After all you survived an earthquake and a hurricane in the same week. How bad can life really be????

No comments:

Post a Comment