Monday, August 8, 2011

Monday 08/08/2011

For some reason I've been thinking about those household chores that I remember my mother doing that don't need to be done anymore.
The one that keeps coming to mind is defrosting the freezer. Those were the days when freezers were a compartment inside the refrigerator and they had a narrow drawer underneath to catch drips. The refrigerator door would be open for hours while pots full of hot water were moved from the sink to the freezer to melt the ice off the surface. Old bathroom towels would be used to mop up melted ice and that little drawer would gingerly be taken from the box and moved carefully to the sink to be emptied without spilling. Thank God for frost free technology.
I also remember that every summer my grandmother would cover her living room furniture with fitted slipcovers in a light floral pattern so they would be more comfortable. When was the last time you knew someone who did that.
And before we all had wall to wall carpeting I remember that the carpet would be turned around yearly so it would wear more evenly and last longer. Who does that anymore?

The other day there was a helicopter shot down in Afghanistan. There were 31 men killed, most of them American military from the elite Navy Seal unit. One of my facebook friends posted the following:
‎      31 lost, 31 unwanted visits, 31 doors receive that dreaded knock, 31 families with shattered hearts,  31 pairs of boots lined up with rifles and dog tags and helmets, 31 comrades remembered and grieved for, 31 funeral services, 31 names on newly made grave markers, 31 empty places at the table, 31 souls who gave all, whose lives leave a void, so let's take 31 seconds to re-post this and pause to reflect on such a sacrifice as 31 gone forever. Pray for the families.
That pretty much says it all.

Well it is truly the summer doldrums. I watch The View and they are now off till September. Even Regis and Kelly are reruns now. I'll be catching up on my cable shows I guess.

I was looking for a Quote of the day and went out to quotegarden.com and saw this:
       Life is too short to sleep on low thread-count sheets.  ~Leah Stussy
This is something I've come to believe the last few years.

Well that about does it for today. Have a good one and sleep soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment