Friday, December 30, 2011

Last of 2011

So, heavy sigh, another year is coming to a close. We look back and think about all that happened to us and the people we love in the last 12 months. I guess that is the price that we pay for being human in the 21st century. The media makes it seem that if we don't have that sense of introspection then we are somehow lacking an integral part of what it takes to make us human. So we look back.

Lots happened in the last year. I lost my job and retired. I made lemonade of lemons. It was something I wanted and am ever grateful to the powers that be that allowed it to happen. I remember years ago there was a lovely woman I worked with who retired from Royal. She had worked there for years and was making plans for travel and spending time with grandchildren that she had far too little time with and after being retired a short three months she died of a heart attack. I didn't want that to be me. Ergo...lemonade.

I was also a bit cowardly this year. We had a big shindig scheduled to attend on August 27th. My Uncle Jack was celebrating his 85th birthday and my lovely cousins were throwing him a birthday bash. That was the weekend that Hurricane Irene came calling. After listening to the doom and gloom being forecast I made the decision that making a 2.5 hour drive south was not the wisest thing to do. It turned out that areas north and east of us were effected much more than we here in Philly were but while I believe the decision to stay home was the right one I still feel like a wuss.

I spent time reading both good books and bad books. I stayed away from the romance genre for years but have developed a penchant for it since I have so much time on my hands. I like Lorelei James and Melissa Schroder as well as Lauren Dane. I also caught up with Sue Grafton and U IS FOR UNDERTOW which is the latest installment of the Kinsey Milhone series she started so many yeas ago.   I read the latest installment in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R Ward and also read her Fallen Angels books. There were other books by other authors that are too numerous to mention. One book I would recommend to anyone is ANGELS AND MANNERS by Cynn Chadwick. It is a great story of two women who pull each other up and out of section 8 housing through hard work and common sense. The protaganists children bring a lot of levity to the story. (I will say that I love the fact that so many authors can be found on facebook or have blogs and are willing to update their readers on what is happening with new releases.)  

I did not get to the movies as much as I hoped to this year. I did see THE HELP and it was wonderful. A number of award nominations have been made and in the next couple of months we'll see how it does. I can only say it was a remarkable cast of actors that did an extraordinary job telling Kathryn Stockett's story. The funny thing about seeing that movie was that I happened to go on the day the east coast experienced an earthquake. I totally missed it.  I also saw THE MIGHTY MACS and while it won't win awards or go down in cinema history it was an enjoyable story about women's college basketball.

Back in October the Phillies left all of us here in my city on the Delaware bereft by not making it to the World Series after having the best regular season record in the game. This was their year and they blew it. I hope they can make up for it next year. I really do!

While I could probably prattle on here for a few more paragraphs I'm going to stop here.

May you have a Happy and Blessed 2012. May God grant us the patience to get through the next 10+ months until the general Election in November.

Bye for now everyone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment